Mission and Vision
Our mission is to improve access to, and success in, education beyond high school for youth and adults from economically disadvantaged homes, and those who are the first generation in their families to attend college. Our goal is to provide equitable access to, and success in, postsecondary education for all Maine citizens.
- Support educational programs, from pre-kindergarten through college completion, that increase the success of Maine youth and adults.
- Promote collaboration across educational institutions and programs ( silos) in Maine and share the best practices, resources, and core components of college success programs.
- Educate citizens on success in education beyond high school for youth and adults from economically disadvantaged homes, and those who are the first generation in their families to attend college.
- Support the creation and awareness of diverse pathways to college completion for Maine youth and adults.
- Create a statewide hub for college access and success resources.
- Collect, analyze, and share demographic, educational, and career development data to inform and improve college access and completion.
MaineCAN is a volunteer network of college access professionals. MaineCAN will:
- Engage in projects and initiatives that promote their mission.
- Awareness of college access initiatives including those supporting focusing on students from first generation and low income families.
- Use data to inform change.
- Be a leader in promoting college access in Maine.
- Promote public awareness of our organization.
- Participate and promote current projects and long term studies.
- Continue to involve those close to the work.